Grilled Mushroom Burger
This vegan alternative to the classic beef burger is made even more delicious by a generous spread of Dodo’s ever-popular Beetroot Relish.
Our grilled mushroom burger is a delicious vegan alternative to the classic beef burger and a generous spread of Dodo’s ever-popular Beetroot Relish completes it perfectly.
Vegetarians and vegans have long known the power of the mushroom. The big flavour of the portobello has often been used as a substitute for the common beef burger patty. Bought fresh and treated simply, these big mushrooms are delicious on a fresh toasted bun with carefully selected toppings.
When designing our menu for Dodo’s Dining Room and the Mona Castle Hotel we knew we needed a great, traditional burger option that was also vegan. We naturally chose the portobello mushroom, sourced fresh every morning from the nearby Footscray Market on a bun freshly baked at the local bakery. Next we needed our toppings. Wilted spinach sits beautifully atop the mushroom ‘patty’ and adds texture and fresh flavour to the burger. Dodo’s homemade caramelised onions add sweetness to the earthy notes of the mushroom. The final touch is from our range, the delicious Beetroot Relish.
Dodo’s Beetroot Relish is a feature of the vegan burger on the Frequent Fryers menu, the earthy flavour of the beetroot is strong but the apple and brown sugar mixed throughout the cooking process extends the taste across the palate.
This burger is really simple to make but will result in a delicious, hearty, vegan dinner. Treat the mushroom simply with some of our infused olive oil, lightly toast the bun and wilt the spinach just enough so it’s floppy, but not shrunken and too small. Using Dodo’s Delights Infused Olive Oil reduces the need to do much more seasoning of the mushroom other than a sprinkle of salt and pepper. If you can’t get a mushroom big enough for the bun use two smaller ones and overlap them in the middle, no one is going to be disappointed by some extra thickness in their burger.
Here’s the full recipe, simple as it is.
1x portobello mushroom
1x tablespoon Dodo’s Delights Infused Olive Oil
Salt and pepper
1 large handful baby spinach
1 teaspoon homemade caramelised onions
1x freshly baked bun
Dodo’s Delights Beetroot Relish
- Remove the stalk from the mushroom, this not only helps the mushroom sit flat but we’ve found the stalk is too woody in flavour.
- Drizzle olive oil onto the curved side of the mushroom, spread and rub in slightly with fingers or pastry brush.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the flat side of the mushroom and place, flat side down, on a hot plate and cover with a metallic bowl. Alternative use a frypan with a lid.
- While the mushroom is cooking, boil water in a small saucepan. Once water is boiling, place in the spinach. Boil until spinach shrinks by about a third. Remove from water and drain well.
- Cut the bun in half and toast. You can toast the bun on the other part of the hot plate, or under the griller.
- Spread Beetroot Relish inside the top of the bun, just enough to cover the bun.
- Remove mushroom from the hot plate, place on the bottom of the bun with a sprinkle more salt and pepper.
- Place spinach on top of mushroom and caramelised onions on top of that.
- Top with the lid of the bun.
- Serve with homemade sweet potato wedges with either Dodo’s Tomato Relish or one of our sauces.
We’d love to see your mushroom burgers! Tag us on instagram @dodos.delights